Moe logo

Just before the end of 2003, we bought a Morris Minor.
We call it "Moe" for short (it certainly is short!).

Moe says, "I want more power, new paint, cool wheels, and a useful purpose in life!" 

Moe's left frontMoe's original specifications

<> This model had a split flat windshield, smaller rear window, and larger wheel openings in the rear fenders than later year models.

<> With a 918cc 'flathead' four cylinder engine that produced 27 horsepower, and 39 foot pounds of torque, Moe had a top speed of 62 miles per hour and a 0-60 time of . . . 'eventually.'

<> Wheelbase: 86"; overall length: 148"; overall width: 60", front track: 50.6"; rear track: 50.3"; and curb weight: 1743 pounds

<> Over 1.3 million were manufactured between 1948 and 1972, but only a few hundred that were imported into the U.S. have survived

Unfortunately, Moe was too far gone to restore within our budget,
so we decided to 'repurpose' its most distinctive features into
a flatbed pickup to transport my electric mobility scooter

My Palmer
(to car shows
, of course, and similar outings).


Moe's transformation to mobility trike hauler

<> We found a FiberFab Gazelle kitcar with factory frame and the 2.8 V6, automatic transmission, and front disc brakes from a 1976 Ford Mustang II. - that's about three times Moe's original engine displacement. 

<> The only structural issue I have to resolve is that the engine, transmission, and radiator mounts must be relocated about a foot forward of where they are now (right).  The relocation will require a longer, custom driveshaft to be fabricated, but it will give Moe a wheelbase of 99"

<> flatbed
                  support structureOnce the donor chassis is sorted, I'll affix the front half of Moe's body (see Morris parts in gray, left) to it.

<> Grafting the back/upper cab section from a 1950 Ford F-3 that I also have (yellow) onto Moe's transplanted front half will be the most time-consuming part of this build, but if done right, doing so will increase much needed legroom.

<> By comparison, it'll be easy to fabricate a narrow 6' long flatbed (with swing-away hoist for loading my mobility scooter), then add underbed skirting and affix Moe's rear fenders to the skirting.

<> A set of Prime Hammer (7" wide) alloy wheels will wear 195/55R15 (front) and 205/50R15 (rear) tires. Those sizes are about one inch taller than Moe's original tires, but almost identical to the diameter of those used on the Mustang II, so the overall gearing will stay the same.

<> I'll spray Kirker acrylic urethane 1K paint (wimbledon white on the top and buckskin tan on the bottom), with a mack red separator stripe that matches the bucket seats. The wheel centers will get the same mack red treatment, but the rims and center caps will stay polished. 

<> After tinting it to match the exterior white, tan, and red, I'll apply Raptor spray-on bedliner to the cab floor, inside back panel, and underside of the roof.

TMI covers<> A pair of 1969 VW bug front seats with new red TMI covers (left) will be the only upholstery in the cab (this is a 'working' truck, after all). 

<> A full array of vintage-style gauges will add dash to the dash.

Moe will always be a Morris Minor
. . . but
it'll be more useful   
   after this build!

Morris logo

TECH SUPPORT
(and a LOT of detail photos).
 

A book I found especially useful in this Morris Minor project is shown to the left. You can order it through Amazon.com (at a significant savings) by clicking on the picture.



 Email the builder        Return to CARCENTRIC home page